Among the tasks that local governments undertake for a variety of reasons, one is especially important. It is the initiating, organising, co-ordinating, supporting and evaluating the socio-economic development of a commune. Before it can be implemented, this complex task is preceded by drawing up a comprehensive programme covering the directions of development over the next few years that is called a strategy of local development. In full awareness of its responsibility for the socio-economic development of the commune, the Swarzędz Town Council resolved to work out such a strategy, and on 28 March 2001 it voted through the document entitled "Swarzędz 2010". This strategy of the socio-economic development of the town and commune of Swarzędz shows the responsibility that the local authorities feel for the development of the commune, and on the other hand, it demonstrates the involvement of the residents in the formulation of its assumptions. The assumptions of the strategy were constructed taking into consideration mainly growth factors, the most important of which were thought to include: the commune's geographical location, particularly its situation on the main European East-West route, within the Poznań metropolitan area, in the immediate vicinity of the city of Poznań; the commune's attractive natural environment; its balanced economic structure; functions of the commune's capital; favourable qualities of the local community; and physical conditions allowing the location of serious investments. Thought was also given to what is not correct in the commune, to what is a matter of concern for the local community, and to what may hinder the development and qualitative changes of the local environment. These growth factors and limitations as well as the analysis of the strong and weak points of the commune's socio-economic system determine, directly or indirectly, the vision underlying the strategy, its targets, and development programmes.
The implementation of the assumptions of the document will make Swarzędz "a dynamic commune of the Poznań metropolitan area, and an attractive place of residence, work, and recreation", and this formulation has been adopted as the mission of the strategy. The mission will be fulfilled when six basic strategic aims have been achieved, namely:
(1) a decided improvement in the safety of the residents of the town and commune, and betterment of the town's aesthetics and cleanliness;
(2) the fullest possible integration of the residents in order to overcome conflicts and tensions, to make them identify with the place they live in, to promote closer citizen participation in solving local problems and working towards their own economic prosperity, and to encourage public-spirited initiatives;
(3) the moulding of patriotic and civic attitudes of young people and taking steps to guarantee a high level of their education and their physical, psychic and moral health;
(4) ensuring the commune's residents the highest possible level of service and best living conditions, as well as permanent economic, social and ecological security; a functional and efficient local system of technical and social infrastructure will guarantee them European civilization standards;
(5) multifunctional development of the commune based on the use of local resources, geographical location, and closeness to the Poznań metropolis, which will lead to a permanent equilibrium of the natural, social and economic environments; and
(6) the opening of the commune to serious investors and taking steps to attract them, thus increasing the commune's economic potential and strengthening the links between people and their place of residence by the creation of new jobs. The above general goals can be divided into more detailed ones whose formulation suggests concrete actions.
The goals of the strategy will be implemented under the following nine development programmes:
(1) Safe town - safe commune;
(2) The youth are our future;
(3) To live in a beautiful and healthy environment;
(4) Together we can achieve more;
(5) Investors are welcome;
(6) A functional town;
(7) Near the motorway;
(8) Poznań, our good neighbour;
(9) The information-technology commune.
The implementation of the strategic goals will make the commune of Swarzędz a dynamic territorial unit, a high-quality living environment for its residents, a balanced natural-social-economic system, a territorial unit rich with the industriousness and responsibility of its inhabitants and the enterprise and good management of its economic entities, a spatial-functional structure offering high living standards and a high level of service, guaranteeing personal safety, and responding to the challenge of the times quickly and in full awareness.
Swarzędz is a commune in which it is good to live, work and relax, and one which makes it possible and worthwhile to carry on business. Worthwhile, because the commune offers many attractive, modern factors of location and growth the use of which will ensure economic entities a satisfying performance, and the commune and its residents, general social benefits. The strategy is a programme for the commune's residents because it leads to the improvement in their living conditions and the creation of an environment of new, 21st-century quality. It is also a challenge to them and a task for them to accomplish, because the results of its implementation will crucially depend on their activity and participation. It is a programme of sustainable development that is dynamic, comprehensive, and open to amendments and modifications, and a feasible one at that. It is also a programme for all those that want to do honest business in the commune in accordance with the assumptions of the strategy and the directions of its spatial development. Such investors are welcome by the residents and local authorities. Please be with us. Together we shall accomplish the targets and programmes we have set ourselves.
opracował: prof. dr hab. Jerzy J. Parysek, tłumaczenie: mgr Maria. Kawińska